Thursday 18 May 2006

2 more programs



Have started using two more programs recently. One is Eovia's Hexagon 2 - Eovia have recently been bought by DAZ productions, and they're doing an offer where members of their "Platinum Club" can get the download version of the program for $1.99 (about a quid in English currency). The attraction of this program for me, the intriguing-looking modelling features notwithstanding, is a function for "painting" detail onto models, and another function for painting textures. Also the UV mapping feature looks very interesting. Texturing is something I've avoided like the plague so far, since the whole business of trying to paint a flat texture for a 3d figure is SUCH a fiddle. (There is, apparently, a program out there called Deep Paint 3d that allows you to paint textures directly onto models, but it is very expensive.)
Alas, these things are never without their drawbacks, as I discovered once again on trying to use the program this week. The "Paint" window, which is supposed to be a part of Hexagon's interface, has disappeared, and nothing I do can bring it back again, thereby making it impossible to do any painting onto models with it. There are other bugs as well. I've emailed the technical support people for the software, but that's about all I can do until they release a new version or service pack to address these issues.
The other program was brought to my attention by someone on the Deathfall website - it's an open-source modeller that's supposed to be similar to ZBrush. Again, it allows the user to paint detail onto models, but it's still in the developmental stage, so there are issues with the interface and other things. However, my fiddling around with it has yielded some promising results, and I can't wait to see what the programmers do with it in the future.
Work is progressing, on and off, with my lizard character in Wings. I gave him some teeth last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment