Wednesday 8 February 2017

Writing

I hate the story I'm writing. I write and re-write, and run the thing through an online grammar checker and collate it into one document and then re-read it and realise how much is still wrong with it and break it down into chunks and re-write it again, and it never EVER reaches a finished stage. It's not that I can't write, and it's not that I can't write funny things, but producing something that says everything I want it to say and makes the reader laugh and moves the story along is really difficult.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I don't know what kind of book this is. At different moments I feel like I'm writing: a L'Engle-esque sci-fi book for kids; a Douglas Adams-style comedy; and a C S Lewis cosmic allegory.

Another issue is that my writing style is quite terse, and unless I make a conscious effort, my sentences come out far too short. When I try to pad them out a bit, I start repeating information and waffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment