Sunday 12 June 2016

Shelving

I'm having to put drawing on the back burner for the time being.  Not because there's no time, but because I seem to have temporarily lost my mojo where drawing is concerned.  All the nice buildings that I would like to draw in London are obscured by the currently-blooming trees or some other obstruction.

On Sunday I went to Hyde Park looking for something to sketch.  The weather was flipping erratically between rainy and sunny but I decided to chance it.  I came upon a sculpture of a cherub wrestling with a dolphin.  The perfect angle from which to draw it would have been from the front, but the bench nearest to the front was occupied by a guy who had taken his shoes off.  I had to settle for a bench to the right of it instead.  I started drawing and soon realised that the sun was positioned in a place behind the sculpture that made it impossible to make out the cherub's head.  I decided to make the best of it.  It soon became clear that I was using the wrong pencil and the picture was going all wrong as a result.  I started again with a different pencil.  The second attempt went wrong.
I gave it up for a waste of paper and walked next to the lake looking for another subject.  I found an interesting building and began to draw it.  Then it began to rain.  In the end I gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment